Relaxed focus and control can be achieved, and these methods have helped me out immensely both professionally and personally. I highly recommend learning as much as you can about Getting Things Done (GTD). It has helped me stay sane, and helped me to keep my focus and concentration (although I still have problems with overcommitment and extreme laziness, but I'm getting better at it :) ).
I use Linux exclusively, and have implemented GTD using the following systems:
- I'm currently using todotxt with the amazing Android application. It's a great fit, and does what I need.
- Here's a presentation I did about this system: MUG: Doing "Getting Things Done (GTD) with Linux and todotxt (video)
- Here's some scripts that I use with todotxt: todotxt_scripts
- Linux, Evolution, and the Palm.
- Linux, JPilot, and the Palm.
- I alternated between Tracks and todotxt for a while. (Here's my posting on why I switched from the Palm to Tracks).
There's some weird people who use GTD with emacs. I guess emacs CAN do everything.
More links to check out: