You might have missed this, but the final book in the Harry Potter Saga has been released upon the masses. JoDee, Sarah, and I took a trek out to the Barnes and Noble to gaze upon the festivities. For not having any corporate support to speak of (according to JoDee, the Borders was REALLY well decorated), they organized pretty well. The little rug-rats running around in their little Hogwarts uniforms were really cute, but there were a few disturbing people there that made me feel positively normal while reading my Linux magazines. Of note:
- The little kid who had a fade of a lightning bolt shaved into the back of his head.
- The girl who apparently thought The Matrix was part of the Harry Potter series, by wearing some ridiculous PVC getup. (Harry Potter is NEO!)
- The person with the bandanna under his witch's hat. Yo! Slytheryn in da HOUSE! Respect!
- The lady who invaded our space to blather something incomprehensible to my muggle ears, and then expected some form of kindred spirit bond or some other such nonsense. Sorry, lady, I only saw the movies.
- The Harry Potter Hoes. Seriously.
- The girls who wondered why there were all of these Canadians in the bookstore. (A personal favorite).
That said, people were really excited about the book, and it was pretty wild to see so many people there waiting for the stroke of midnight so the book could be officially unveiled. From what I understand, the wait was well worth it.
But then again, I've only seen the movies.