Checking in for 2023-08-31:
Content Warning: Cat shit.
- Started the second course of Lonsurf today. This course is an AM / PM dose of 5 pills, just like last time.
- One of JoDee's students already has COVID. We're not even through the first week yet, folks. So we took tests this morning. I have the absolute worst gag reflex when it comes to sticking the swab into my nose. For whatever reason I start having to stifle a barrage of sneezes. I know when I was a kid swimming was the absolute worst because water always got up my nose and made me miserable. I wore nose-clips to help counteract that until I learned how to blow through my nose to keep that from happening. It's almost comical to watch me swab my nose, though. JoDee has been helping me each time and it's a wonder I haven't impaled my brain with a swab yet from me sneezing. All I have to say is that if we have COVID my sneezing attack means that half of the county now has COVID.
- Work continues apace on the Pepper&Carrot RPG. I'm really enjoying diving into this material again. Its helping me to become more familiar with these characters and the setting.
- Yesterday Pixel had trauma. She went to use her litter and came out dragging her butt on the floor. That usually means she has a cling-on. Indeed she did, and I went to get the wipes to get them off her butt. Unfortunately I was slightly irritated because I was hoping to go outside to enjoy the wonderful weather we've been having. I'd just cleaned off the table in the back yard only to come in and see her dragging butt. She took it as though I was taking her to the vet (one of her most traumatic experiences) so she ran into one of her safe spaces (under an IKEA chair). I tried to get her to come out but she sat there hissing and growling in the most defensive posture she could muster. My temper got the best of me (she was interfering with quality outside time) so I moved the chair. That got her to dart into another location where I couldn't reach her, hissing and growling all the way. After several attempts to get her to come out I relented and left her alone for a bit. I tried to use some treats to get her to come out but she was wise to my tricks and didn't come out too far from her safe space. Finally I left her alone for a bit, checking in on her occasionally to show her that she wasn't in any danger. She finally came out and I liberated the nugget from her posterior. I also took the time to clean up the various skid-marks that she made. She then darted into the basement to her other safe space. I went down there to comfort her and give her reassuring pets. Later I went to the bedroom and she came up on the bed and slept next to me. I didn't get to go outside but after a while it didn't matter anymore; I needed to be there for Pixel. Moral of the story: drop the expectations and empathize with the trauma that folks are experiencing in order to keep things from escalating. And the worst thing that could have happened was I would have needed to clean up more cat shit from areas that I didn't want it to go. That's not insurmountable and didn't need me to yell and scream and terrorize Pixel in the process.
- I can't believe it's September tomorrow. Where did the summer go?
That's all for now. More as I know it.