Checking in for 2023-10-20:
- Had some fun this morning. We were going to have our roof replaced yesterday but the threat of rain canceled those plans. This morning we actually did have rain but the roofers were out there with pressure to continue. I had to pull the "I worked in weather" card for this one (my previous job was working for a company that rates the accuracy of weather forecasts. One of their tools is ForecastAdvisor). Thing is the contractor was looking at Apple Weather and seeing that this wasn't going to work. Sorry, roofing company, but your failure to schedule properly isn't my problem. And here's another bonus: our street is no parking from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. because of trash collection. Eventually we came to a compromise, but that was a fun bit of negotiation in the morning.
- Managed to get some work done on Pepper&Carrot this morning. This time around it was the dangerous Scorpio. Unrelated, I learned way more than a northerner should know about scorpions.
- One of JoDee's co-workers has COVID so we're hoping that she dodged the bullet. I'm not even mad at this point. We've dropped any pretense of learning anything useful from the pandemic and have all but scrubbed it from our collective memories, save for some curious anomalies in our entertainment from 2020 to 2021. We have our updated vaccinations so my hope is that will cover the gaps.
- I still have energy which is quite nice. I've been reading through the Crafting Interpreters book to learn more about language design. I'm thinking that might be the way to approach a language for interactive storytelling, or at least a decent markup language that is easy for folks to use and understand. Regardless, it's a fascinating read thus far.
- I think attitude really helps with folks and handling their cancer. I'm not trying to be Polyanna about my disease but I think having an attitude of letting things be as they are and not letting it drag you down can help.
That's all for now. More as I know it.